White Silkie Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by number1fishroom, Sep 29, 2012.

1. number1fishroom

number1fishroom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Last year when I hatched out my white orpington eggs one odd little fellow popped out. It was a white silkie orpington. Now he is not a cross he is standard size pink skined and has normal toes. At first I thought he was just shaggy after a wet spring and a dry summer but he molted again and more of his feather appeared silkie. Thiese are some pictures of him in thesummer before he molted. I haven't talken any pictures because my lemon roo pulled a bunch out his nect feathers and I waiting for them to grow back. I will post more pictures and better ones once he finshes his molt and grows back his feathers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Handsome fellow.[​IMG]

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    After having followed the "What's wrong with their feathers?" thread since it's beginning, I've learned that this is a mutation that can show up in any breed. In that particular thread, it was started by someone who had a couple of Ameraucanas hatch out that way. They are not crossed with silkies. There are those that have crossed with silkies but it will show up at times w/out that ever happening. And their offspring can inherit it.

Here's the link to the thread if you're interested. The specifics of the genetics is fairly buried in there but after while, it came to light that there was no crossing and there's proof that it can show up at random.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/98335/whats-wrong-with-their-feathers

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by