white silkie question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishman65, Nov 18, 2011.

1. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    I have 23 white silkie chickens about 18 weeks old. Do they start laying at 20 weeks or do they take longer? I have them on starter right now and was wondering if I should start feeding them layer. I was told silkies take longer to lay being that they are bantams. Any info would be helpfull! thanks..

2. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

All of my girls started to lay at 9 months of age.

3. fishman65

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    WOW!!!!!!!!! 9 months is a big difference....when did you start feeding them layer? I was thinking 25 weeks at the most!!!! Or I should say I was hoping...

4. Christie Loves Silkies

Silkies mature slowly.
    but I guess it all depends on the bird [​IMG]

5. fishman65

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    Well I will start introducing layer to them next week and hope I got some early layers....I don't thinik i can wait another 16 weeks...

6. bottichicks

bottichicks New Egg

Nov 19, 2011
    I recently purchased a white silkie who is now 6 months old. I was hoping she would lay soon but I have read they can take longer to lay...and the winter months probalby won't help. Everyday I check on her and the Buff Orpington and I find lots of poop but no eggs. Oh well one day they will surprise me! :)

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have 2 hatchery white silkies who are 7 1/2 months old and have been laying since they were barely 6 months. They both are broody now....oh well.

8. fishman65

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    great...at least I have some hope....9 months is a long time to wait for eggs...hopefully some layer feed will get them in gear....

9. Christie Loves Silkies

I guess hatchery silkies would start earlier then breeder silkies.

10. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    My hatchery Silkies are 8 months old, still no eggs. One of my breeder Silkies (not sure which) of the same age has started. They're slowpokes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by