1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White silkie roo bred to blue silkie hen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by whatthecluck77, Dec 2, 2010.

1. whatthecluck77

whatthecluck77 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    indianapolis
    What color may come of this combo?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Anything; no way of predicting anything except hald the offspring iwll inherit the blue gene.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:1/2? Wouldn't it be more like 1/4 to 1/2 of the offspring? [​IMG]

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    white can mask other genes so it is a total crap shoot [​IMG]

5. bacres

bacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    OK so my friend asked me the same question a few days back. They have White Rooster and she found a colored feather on his body and it looked like it was a partridge colored feather. Would that mean that their White Rooster is actually a Partridge Rooster with the white genes? If so would it do well in a breeding pen of Partridges?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:1/2? Wouldn't it be more like 1/4 to 1/2 of the offspring? [​IMG]

Well, from an actual statistical standpoint, every offspring will have a 50% chance of inheriting blue and a 50% chance of inheriting not-blue. With small numbers of offspring, any proportion is possible as the number of offspring is not sufficient to render a statistically significant sample. However, the larger the number of hatchlings the more likely it is to be 50/50.

We have no idea what white will contribute, so we will ignore that parent for now. The blue parent has one copy of blue and one copy of not-blue. Each of its offspring will receive one or the other of these genes. Those that receive a copy of blue will be blue; those that receive a copy of not-blue will not be blue.

If any offspring are splash, you will know that the white carries at least one copy of blue.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:First, what breed? Then need to determine whether the white is dominant white or recessive white. I have never seen a white bird show a partridge coloured (I assume the penciling pattern is what is meant?) feather in a white bird. I have seen the occasional dark (black or blue) feather.

8. bacres

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    Silkies, It is a white Silkie that had a feather that was colored like a partridge.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Was it penciled? Or red? Or ?

10. bacres

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    It wad in the tail area I guess it was pencilled it looked like a partridge colors with the black and red and shades and such.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by