White silkie roo bred to blue silkie hen?

Quote:
1/2? Wouldn't it be more like 1/4 to 1/2 of the offspring?
smile.png

OK so my friend asked me the same question a few days back. They have White Rooster and she found a colored feather on his body and it looked like it was a partridge colored feather. Would that mean that their White Rooster is actually a Partridge Rooster with the white genes? If so would it do well in a breeding pen of Partridges?

Quote:
1/2? Wouldn't it be more like 1/4 to 1/2 of the offspring?
smile.png

Well, from an actual statistical standpoint, every offspring will have a 50% chance of inheriting blue and a 50% chance of inheriting not-blue. With small numbers of offspring, any proportion is possible as the number of offspring is not sufficient to render a statistically significant sample. However, the larger the number of hatchlings the more likely it is to be 50/50.

We have no idea what white will contribute, so we will ignore that parent for now. The blue parent has one copy of blue and one copy of not-blue. Each of its offspring will receive one or the other of these genes. Those that receive a copy of blue will be blue; those that receive a copy of not-blue will not be blue.

If any offspring are splash, you will know that the white carries at least one copy of blue.

Quote:
First, what breed? Then need to determine whether the white is dominant white or recessive white. I have never seen a white bird show a partridge coloured (I assume the penciling pattern is what is meant?) feather in a white bird. I have seen the occasional dark (black or blue) feather.

Back
Top Bottom