white silkie roo with black cochin hen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont know what color her mom or dad are. i ordered hatching eggs silkies and cochins and she was marked a silkie and looks like a cochin with a silkie tophat thingy lol

then proababaly not pure black so go with 50% black and25% white and 25% idk?
wink.png

Quote:
Good try, but way off as far as accuracy goes.

Chickens have 39 chromosome pairs. Each chromosome has many genes. Chromosomes occur in pairs, each chromosome in a pair carrying the same genes, although not necessarily the same variation of the gene. http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/theory.html gives a detailed explanation, along with diagrams.

Black is an entirely separate gene from white. There are two, unrelated white genes. Each of these genes have their own set of variations. Dominance is between the variations, not between separate genes. More tomorrow; it's late.

Last edited:
Okay, black is the E gene. The variations (the proper term for a variation of a gene is "allele") are E (extended black), E^R (birchen), E^Wh (wheaten), e+ (wild-type) and e^b (brown or partridge). They are listed in order of dominance, although wheaten dominance can actually vary, behaving as a recessive, under certain circumstances.

The white gene that is dominant, is labeled I. Its alleles are I^s (smoky), I (white), I^d (dun) and i+ (not-white). Once copy prevents black pigment; two copies prevents red.

The other white gene is c. Its alleles are C+ (colour), c (recessive white, aka not-colour), c^re (white with red eyes), c^a (autosomal albino).

All chickens have two copies of each of these genes (along with many other genes). The bird's appearance depends on the specific mix of all the genes combined.

White can be considered an OFF switch, preventing the appearance of colour or pattern genes that are present in the bird. If a bird is white, it displays no pigment. Imagine having a painting by a famous artist, and then painting a layer of white paint over it all. You have no idea what the painting underneath is: it could be a Dali, or a Rembrant, or maybe your own child's first effort with a crayon. Anyways, the point is that those hidden genes will be passed to offspring, where they can and will display if sufficient copies of white are not also inherited.

thats pretty neat, thank you i was having a hard time understanding the letter/number thing and ive got it now. i cant wait to see what i get.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, your description is incorrect. Yours is like saying that ketchup on a hamburger is an alternative to the meat being cooked well-done or that a pickle is an alternative to a bun. Apples and oranges.

i'd say so, BUT JUST ASK SONORAN SHE KNOWS IT ALL AND EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG. what i said was just a rough estimate. and still u havent told the chances of getting colors,shape,feet,feathers...ect. but at least i tried as best as i could to predict color. u jus tried to cancel me out!
tongue.png
barnie.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
sickbyc.gif
th.gif
he.gif
smack.gif
duc.gif
hit.gif
tongue.gif
ep.gif