White Silky Bantam Hen w/ wet, weird feather problem - Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rescuefirst, Mar 7, 2014.

1. rescuefirst

rescuefirst Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Oxford, PA
    Hi -
    One of my white silky bantam hens has a goopy, yellow-toned, thick & moist crest (feathers on head) and around her vent.

Other ailments I noticed:
    1 sore around her vent - which I've cleaned
    Also, I noticed she had a sore on her wing &
    an abcess on her foot (looks like bumblefoot).
    I'm treating the foot abcess too... poor hen! Not sure how all this happened seemingly overnight!

I bathed her and put a topical aintibiotic ointment on the sores. They are looking better...

However, I've NEVER seen a silky with this feather issue - the feathers appear wet, they won't dry (I tried cleaning with Dawn soap, soaking, rinsing and then blow drying gently... - still NO luck).

Any suggestions on what this feather issue could be & how I can address it to get her healthy? It appears quite "goopy", thick and yellow tinge. However she has no signs of respiratory issues - eyes seem clear, nasal clear, etc...

I've separated her from the rest of the coop - however not sure what to do regarding the feather problem?

Please take a look at the photos...

Suggestions & advice kindly welcomed! =)

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
  3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  4. rescuefirst

rescuefirst Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Oxford, PA
    Thank you for the helpful feedback. I agree, this looks like it may be one of her problems - thanks so much! I'll get right to this & keep everyone posted.

Cheers & all the best!

5. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Heres a link talks about the wet head feather can be caused from vomiting and head shaking. Check her crop and listen for respiratory problems. If she does have vent gleet as well she may have sour crop.

http://www.avianweb.com/sickbirdsymptoms.html

6. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by