1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White/skintone eggs. Where did the brown go?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TxAg11, Apr 4, 2016.

1. TxAg11

TxAg11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2016
    Sugar Land, TX
    Lately we have been getting eggs that are mostly white-ish with a skin-tone color. Almost a very faint pink at times. When we first got our hens they laid dark brown eggs with rich orange yolks. Now the eggs are more white and the yolks are more yellow. We feed them Purina layena crumbles and cabbage from our garden on a regular basis. Has anybody else had this problem? The eggs taste fine, I just miss the nice dark brown eggs on our shelves.

Also, we have NO leghorns or roosters. Our layers are 2 golden comets, 1 RIR, 1 Dominicker, 1 Australorp, 1 Buff Orpington, and 1 White Brahma.

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Not all of the breeds you listed would lay dark Brown eggs, are you sure that the darker laying hens haven't taken a break and the lighter egg hens are still laying?

Do you have a before and after photo?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Eggshell color tends to fade over the laying season. I notice it most with my EEs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by