White Spalding

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by AndysPeafowlSanctuary, Jan 18, 2011.

1. AndysPeafowlSanctuary

AndysPeafowlSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Monday I'll be heading to my local breeder to get a new bird. She has a two year old white spalding that she is gonna sell me. Here are his two pics she sent to me. His price tag reads $120 which i think is a more than fare price being he's 2 and he's a spalding. What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Well it's a nice looking White Spalding just low%, guess $120.00 is a fare price.

3. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Looks like a beauty!!!! Post more pics when you get her, we'll all be waiting. [​IMG]. If you like her for the price, that is what counts. As a two year old, coming into breeding, you could do a lot worse than that price if your getting them from someone you trust. As well as it seems like semi local so that is great. Good luck on the pick up. [​IMG]

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    agree nice lookin bird, but Steve is right looks like low % spalding , took more after blue side anyway, price is ok too.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Beautiful!

6. AndysPeafowlSanctuary

She sent this pic also saying this was his dad..

[​IMG]

7. Choctaw Valley Farm

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    The only way this male could be the dad is if he were split to White or Pied.

Steve

8. AndysPeafowlSanctuary

Do they show white flight feathers or is there anyway i can look at the dad and find out he is split to white or pied? I know next to nothing about spalding genetics. I was thinking to breed him with my silver pied hen but I'm hesitant bc he might not be fertile yet. Has anyone had much luck with 2 year old peacocks being fertile or should i just stick pairing my hens up with my older males that range from 3-5 years old.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    He could be split pied without showing any white feathers.

All my 2 yr old males have bred, and were fertile. Late hatch maybe later in their 2 nd year.

Now real high % green may not be fertile, but I am talking more than 75%

10. Choctaw Valley Farm

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I know next to nothing about spalding genetics. I was thinking to breed him with my silver pied hen but I'm hesitant bc he might not be fertile yet. Has anyone had much luck with 2 year old peacocks being fertile or should i just stick pairing my hens up with my older males that range from 3-5 years old.

If the dad is split to Pied he will more then likely not show any signs.

If Split to white he should have White flight feathers,

A few years ago I ran a White Male out of Pieds on a Silver Pied hen and got all Whites. I was told this wasn't suppose to happen but it did I did hatch some nice White birds thought, I also had a Silver Pied male on the same Silver Pied hen and hatched nothing but whites as well so I sold them all and started over.

Steve​

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by