White specks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krv, May 5, 2008.

1. krv

krv Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Hi, I am fairly new to the chicken world, although, I did have some a few years ago. My sons and I have gotten back into having them. My youngest son has a buff orpington (8 weeks old) that has whites specks on it. What could that be? My oldest son thought that it may be lice, but I read somewhere that lice on chickens is black. I don't think that they move, but I may be wrong. It kind of looks like dandruff. What can I do to clear it up? What about dipping her in soapy water using Dawn liquid detergent? Or is it Joy liquid detergent? Someone that I know gives her show chickens a bath, by dipping them in soapy water and rinsing them in clean water. Would this help? She said it helps with lice? Thanks, krv.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

How old are they, are they growing in new feathers? Sounds like they are shedding their feather sheaths and thus giving them a dandruffy appearance. A sand bath is all they need to help them clean themselves.

3. karrie

karrie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    I agree with silkiechicken. Mine sometimes have a few flakes, but I just blow on the feathers to clear them off.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

If you look down into the feathers, you'll see that they look like they're coming out of straws...the straw part is what's flaking off.
    Lice are more likely found around the vents and in the wing pits and at the base of their necks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by