White sport barred rock.. or just light?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Rod-T, May 19, 2016.

1. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hatched a few barred rocks from my trio.. one turned out gray almost silver. .
    Still has a head dot..
    Is this unusual? Is it a white sport of the breed?
    My trio is just hatchery quality.. but supposedly purebred

2. Rod-T

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Anyone?

3. mikeldb

mikeldb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    carrollton ga
    could be hidden genes [​IMG] it's possible that some time ago there was a sport or something bread back into that blood line

4. Rod-T

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington

This is very interesting. . Still has a head dot I suspect it will grow up barred.. perhaps lighter then the others?

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

As you say, hatchery stock. "Purebred" in poultry is far different from horses or dogs.

Poultry is said to be purebred when it is bred to the standard for the breed, accepted by the American Poultry Association, the nation's oldest livestock association. The details of that breed's description is printed in the Standard of Perfection.

Hatchery stock Barred Rocks are not bred to the standard and thus are not considered purebred poulty. It is likely that a silver/white bird was bred into the line to increase egg production, something hatcheries value for profitability much more than they value standard bred, purebred poultry.

6. Rod-T

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    I was gonna sell the chicks... I guess I'll have to keep this one

7. Rod-T

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington

Any guesses on what it would look like at adult?

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Might want to show pictures of the parents, if only for context.. sometimes it is a mystery until the parents are shown.

It could be a blue barred- are there any blue birds in flock?

It could be Bsd- sex linked dilution gene. I had a line with it and the chicks were extremely auto-sexing, could tell sex even before the chick fully hatched out of the egg or still wet. The males would be very light grey with the females black.. just like the two chicks in your hand. Night and day difference.

It's basically like a much much lighter and greyer version of barred. The roosters are mostly white with little flecks of grey, the hens are pale gray barred.

it is not a too common gene, however it is present in California grays(that is part of the reason for asking adult pictures- what if the parents or one of the parents are actually California gray instead of barred rock). CG are used as the cross parent with leghorns for California whites, btw.

It's extremely useful if you want guaranteed sex chicks.. there is zero mistaking the sex once you make a line pure for this gene.

Below are the birds I had with Bsd:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

by the way- a rooster with only one Bsd gene looks like a slightly lighter barred rock color. The rooster and male chick pictured above are pure for the Bsd gene. If you want to breed this, keep the light colored males as those are the pure ones.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. Rod-T

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are they parents. . I just have this trio.. they were born nov 24th
    Been laying a month.. just started hatching there eggs..
    They all have same dark baring..
    Even when they were chicks they looked the same.

10. Rod-T

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    I just had 5 eggs in incubator looks like I might get one more..for total 3..
    The trio is young..6 months.. just doing a test hatch.... we will see what the third looks like. .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by