1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Sport Legbar genetics

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by dixiebackyard, Dec 24, 2015.

1. dixiebackyard

dixiebackyard New Egg

Mar 27, 2015
    I have a very limited knowledge when it comes to genetics and color traits and so forth. Are the white traits of my legbar sport going to be dominant or recessive? Has anyone experimented running these type of genes over a fibromelanosis chicken. What genes would and would not be carried

2. Wappoke

Wappoke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2015
    If you crossed a standard plumage color legbar with another standard plumage color legbar, and a legbar offspring is pure white, then the white bird is most likely recessive white. So the trait is recessive. Fibromelanosis is a complicated expression by a sex-linked gene and a number of gene complexes ( sections of DNA) that interact to produce the black-boned chicken (fibromelanosis).

The genetics behind the trait is too complex to discuss on this forum.

The darkest and blackest chickens do not carry recessive white. The silkie is a fibromelanotic chicken and carries recessive white.

As a general rule, if you cross a fibromelanotic chicken with a white shanked, white skinned chicken (no dermal melanine), the cross will not produce fibromelanotic offspring.

The expression of fibromelanosis can vary depending on the genes a bird inherits. Making a prediction concerning the degree of black pigments in a chicken is difficult without knowing the genetic lineage of both parents.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by