White Sport Legbars, or "Frost White Legbars" I am interested on breeding information about this br

DocumentedPure

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2017
Canada
I would like to pick up a coop of these little guys. However, I have read some conflicting information, and I am not sure who to trust. So, if you know something as a fact or first hand experience, please mention that. However, if you have heard this or that through the grapevine, please also mention that. If you can cite sources, please do.

I have read that the strain is recessive. I have also read that there may be a dominant white gene. I have also read that they have color bleeding through. I have read that white hen with white rooster produces all white offspring. Who knows the answers to these questions?

I have read that there are problems about how they are produced. That the weak recessive gene creates ill little babies, and that it is uncommon for them to reach adulthood. Does anybody know?

Also, how long have they been around? How long until S and P accepts the breed as official?

Thank you for your time. Your comments are appreciated.

Did you get any input ?
Im looking at ordering some right now.
But at $75 per chick, if there are gene issues, i'll pass.
We have cream legbars with no issues but im interested in any negative
info you may have before i shell out that much for a chicks.

I raised legbars for a while so this is my experience......
The white is recessive. No they aren't dominate white. Dominate white doesn't hide like recessive. If any where dominate white they would of easily bred away from them. I raised several hens and kept as layers they never had color bleed through. Did get the dingy white look when they got a few years old. Rooster may bleed color. I never raise any males to adulthood and males tend to bleed colors more then females. Yes white X white would produce all whites.
Unsure what you mean by how they are produced. Mine were produced the same as my regular legbars and were just as hardy. I raised several to adulthood. I didn't have any issues from them being produced or from being white.
They've been around as long as the legbars have. Mine were from the second year GFF had them for sell.
I don't know what s and p is. If you mean recognized legbars variety with the APA then imo they will never or at least not in my lifetime.
When I raised legbars the whites were culls. Legbars are known for autosexing and the whites aren't autosexing so kinda defeats the purpose of the breed imo.
I gave them away for free. I can't believe people are paying high prices for them. If interested you would be better off looking for legbar breeders and see if they're producing any and if they see them as culls. Be a lot cheaper from them then from breeders trying to make fat cash from them.

I have been raising these white legbars for a couple of years. I have had no problems with their health nor fertility of the eggs. They are quite hardy and good natured - just like regular legbars only white! These little guys just hatched and other photo is of one of my roosters. They are great chickens.Obviously I don't make a living as a chicken photographer since I can't get them to pose and smile for the camera.
0227181752a (1).jpg
0217181449d (3).jpg
0217181449d (3).jpg

Attachments

• 0227181754_Burst01 (1).jpg
    0227181754_Burst01 (1).jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 7
we bought 2 chicks from meyers and they have grown up with no illness. they seem very healthy and produce blue tinted eggs. they seem to have the same disposition as our cream legs bars. and they are small like the cream leg bars. yup, we paid that excessive crazy price of $75 a piece for them. they are still pure white so far.

Wow - had no idea the hatcheries were charging that much for them! I sell my baby chicks for $25.

Wow - had no idea the hatcheries were charging that much for them! I sell my baby chicks for $25.

oh yes, they happily took that much for them. i could not find anyone else with them online. we would have bought more of them if they were a reasonable $25.

Back when I had CCL I'd get a couple pop up in about every hatch.
Either gave them away or sold them at auction for usually $1.
You should look into regular CCL breeders and see if any ever pop up in their hatches. If everyone hasn't bred the recessive white out of their lines I'd bet you could get some for far less then what breeders that are breeding them or hatcheries are asking.
I'd gave you a whole box of them for $75 and felt guilty for taken advantage.

Back
Top Bottom