white spot on bared rock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sashurlow, May 21, 2010.

1. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    Does the white spot on the head of our Barred Rocks mean they are sex-linked? I know I saw from one of the hatcheries that they sell pure but sex-linked barred rocks.
    (we got our two barred rocks and are now waiting for our 4 buff orphingtons to hatch and be shipped.)
    Thanks,
    scott

2. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
  3. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    i do not believe it means they are sex-links. The white spot on a chick indicates what sex it is - but it is a "purebred" barred rock.

I have a barred rock hen and she had a small white spot. the link above explains it pretty well with a pick of a male chick.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  4. Ttheresaa

Ttheresaa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    also if you mix a barred rock hen with i think it was a rhode island rooster they will get the white spot on their head means not a pure breed barred rock

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Black sexlink cockerels look just like pure BRs at hatch, with a white spot on the head. Pure BRs have head spots in both sexes. You don't know till later if it's a sexlink. Their barring will be weird with lots of white in the hackles and sometimes off-color feathers, green tail feather or two maybe.

Pure BRs are NOT sexlinked. Black sexlinks have a barred mother and solid color father, so the sexlink pullets are mostly solid colored and the males have a head spot and barring from their mother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by