1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White spot on head sex link trait?? CONFUSED!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DebB11, Apr 12, 2011.

1. DebB11

DebB11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    When we bought our chicks 3 weeks ago, we were told they were Australorps and were all hens.....however 4 of the 6 had/have white areas on their heads.... After we brought them home, I had read that could be a trait of a sex linked male???

However of about 50 chicks they had, at lest 40 had the white area on the head.... would Southern States really have that many male chicks?

About a week later, I went to ANOTHER Southern States store and they had the SAME chicks we have, again was told they are Australorps and are all hens!! Again, almost ALL had the white area on the head...

I am really beginning to question if they knew what they were talking about....

2. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    In sex link breeds, yes it is a trait, or in barred rocks. Aussies, I think all have white on heads and chest as chicks (haven't had any in a while). So unless they are actually black sex links or barred rocks, I would say don't worry.

3. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    Australorps aren't a sex-link. Other than that I can't help you.

4. DebB11

Mar 21, 2011
    Also forgot to add.....the 4 with white areas on heads have white barring on them [​IMG]

5. DebB11

Mar 21, 2011
    [​IMG]

6. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Ahhh I dont think those are black astralorps at all.

7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Hard to tell in the pic, but if the combs are straight, you most lilkely have you some barred rocks.

8. DebB11

Mar 21, 2011
    thanks...that is what I thought...... Is it possible they are black sex links? And do I have a bunch of roos????? [​IMG]

9. eastercreek

eastercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Benton, LA
    They look just like my Plymouth Barred Rocks....call the hatchery that the store orders the birds from and ask them what they shipped. I had to do that at my local TSC because the employees had no idea of the breeds

10. DebB11

Mar 21, 2011
    I actually tried to find that out....they weren't very helpful.... the guy said they use several different hatcheries....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by