1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

white spots on brown eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by grullablue, Sep 9, 2009.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I have a flock consisting of rhode island reds and black australorps (brown egg layers). They are young, and all just started laying in June. Every day, I have ONE egg that is speckled with white. Kinda chalky looking. Is this excess calcium? Is it perhaps that one hen is taking in more of the oyster shell than the others or what??

Just curious if this is some sort of nutritional problem, or nothing to worry about. I'm assuming it's only one hen, and possibly the same hen, because I have 8 of them, and it's only one egg, never more than that.

Thanks!
    Angie

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Most likely excess calcium. Not really anything you can do and it doesn't seem to have any negative impact on the bird. I'll get eggs like that from certain hens even when I don't have oyster shell out. Some just put extra calcium on their eggs.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by