White spots on comb - is this dangerous?

Pixie The Chicken

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2020
One of my faverolles chickens is having these white spots on her comb. They started appearing about two months ago, but only very lightly, and since it didn't seem to affect her behaviour in any way, I have been only observing them to see if it would pass. Over the last weeks there started to be more spots and they don't seem to go away.

I've been looking around the internet for what it might be, but it only got me more confused. White spots can be favus and some sources also say it can be dry fowl pox. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with either of these diseases or knows what it might be!

She's still acting normally, though the last two days, she's less active (might also be because of heat cause she doesn't handle heat well and it's been very hot here). She still eats but sleeps more and hasn't laid eggs for 5 days I think? When feeding her, she's still as excited as ever.

My other faverolle also had a few tiny spots, but they haven't grown in numbers and some of them even disappeared. The other chickens are unaffected.

I have attached some pictures, but I haven't been able to take any very clear ones yet. The first one is from about a month ago, the other two are from today.

aa.JPG 20200628_184907.jpg 20200628_184849.jpg

One of my faverolles chickens is having these white spots on her comb. They started appearing about two months ago, but only very lightly, and since it didn't seem to affect her behaviour in any way, I have been only observing them to see if it would pass. Over the last weeks there started to be more spots and they don't seem to go away.

I've been looking around the internet for what it might be, but it only got me more confused. White spots can be favus and some sources also say it can be dry fowl pox. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with either of these diseases or knows what it might be!

She's still acting normally, though the last two days, she's less active (might also be because of heat cause she doesn't handle heat well and it's been very hot here). She still eats but sleeps more and hasn't laid eggs for 5 days I think? When feeding her, she's still as excited as ever.

My other faverolle also had a few tiny spots, but they haven't grown in numbers and some of them even disappeared. The other chickens are unaffected.

I have attached some pictures, but I haven't been able to take any very clear ones yet. The first one is from about a month ago, the other two are from today.

View attachment 2217900View attachment 2217901View attachment 2217902
She's adorable!
I would treat her comb with anti-fungal cream for a week. Apply it at night and rub it into the comb. See if that helps.

@DobieLover
Thank you for your reply! I will try this! Is there any specific anti-fungal cream you would recommend and do I buy this with a vet or elsewhere? Thanks!
You can pick it up at WalMart. You can use clotrimazole, miconazole, or terbinafine. Any generic antifungal cream.

Back
Top Bottom