1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White spots on egg shells (and slightly cracked)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by louiseoz, Sep 14, 2014.

1. louiseoz

louiseoz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    Hi All,

My Wyandottes have recently been producing eggs shells with faint white spots, some of which have hairline cracks. They are fed good quality laying pellets and a few handful's of veggie greens every day from the garden. They appear their usual healthy and happy selves. However, we do have a rather grumpy guinea fowl in the coop (semi free range) who has obviously come into his breeding season (we are trying to re-home him) and who sometimes is unpleasant to the girls. Could any of this be causing the egg shell defects? Can I do anything to stop it happening?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thank you [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. CharterChick

CharterChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    Are the shells thin? I give my girls oyster shells to help with calcium. I just throw some on the ground and they take it when they need it. I have rowdy guineas with my chickens and they all get into it sometimes. The chickens don't like it when the guineas try to take their roost! [​IMG]

3. louiseoz

Jan 27, 2014
    The shells aren't thin really but they don't have oyster shell as I thought maybe the white spots on the egg shells could be excessive calcium? But that would be weird as i don't know where they could be getting it from! Yes our guinea is so protective over 'his girls" but hes just a bit too....full on!!

4. CharterChick

CharterChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    Maybe some pictures would help I am no expert but i'm sure someone would know! :)

5. louiseoz

Jan 27, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here we go...I'm stumped! But the egg shell quality in the last week or so has really dropped but the chickens look healthy! I will add some grit to their coop tho- just in case they need it. Ive also added a photo of the other weird egg shells that I am getting- speckled pale brown marks and then some with hairline cracks at the top [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by