White spots on hen's ears?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amysflock, Jan 4, 2009.

1. amysflock

amysflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Tenino, WA
    One of my 11 hens seemed a little "off" looking yesterday...there was black stuff around her vent (dried blood maybe?), her feathers looked a little dull, and she had white spots on her red ears. It took me 10 frustrating minutes to catch her (she's not slow!), and upon examination her eyes looked good, but definitely the spots on both ears, and her comb looked fine.

She's always been a little "funny," legs more yellow than the other girls, plus has grown 1/2 faux spurs...I figured she wasn't laying.

I've searched the forum and Googled the white ears, and checked my Chicken Health Handbook, but don't see anything about the spots.

What should I be thinking about/doing for this, besides quarantining her?

The other 10 hens and the rooster are fine and look great, they're all eating layer pellets with a little scratch thrown in during the a.m. (it's been in the mid- to low-20's overnight, the barn is uninsulated), and they free range during the days if the weather's not too bad.

Thanks!

2. amysflock

amysflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Tenino, WA
    bump...anyone??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by