White stringy)goopy discharge from cloaca

cyfarian

Chirping
Jun 5, 2020
Maryland, USA
My 10 month old black australorp hen is lethargic and has thick, white slimy discharge coming from her cloaca.

This is a sudden onset. She seemed fine yesterday.

Edit: a few minutes after I made the post, this came out of her cloaca. It is firm. Is it possible this is a malformed egg? Or part of her internal systems?

Attachments

• PXL_20210426_203926562.jpg
    PXL_20210426_203926562.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20210426_203908916.jpg
    PXL_20210426_203908916.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20210426_205618055.jpg
    PXL_20210426_205618055.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
She has passed what looks like a collapsed egg membrane. She could be very weak due to a reproductive infection or a broken shell-less egg inside. I would try to give her water and some Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes orally, get her eating some scrambled egg or wet feed. A calcium tablet or Tums given orally now might help. Do you normally feed her layer feed and provide crushed oyster shell?

The white poop or uric acid waste could be from being dehydrated.

She has passed what looks like a collapsed egg membrane. She could be very weak due to a reproductive infection or a broken shell-less egg inside. I would try to give her water and some Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes orally, get her eating some scrambled egg or wet feed. A calcium tablet or Tums given orally now might help. Do you normally feed her layer feed and provide crushed oyster shell?

The white poop or uric acid waste could be from being dehydrated.

Yeah, that was my conclusion too. I gave her a bath to get all the gunk off and gave ger probiotics. I forgot to give her electroytes though. I will give her some tomorrow. She stayed in the house after the bath and perked right back up. She wasn't interested in the scrambled egg at the time, but when I brought her back to the flock, she immediately began foraging, eating and drinking.

This is her first soft-shelled egg, so I will keep an eye on her.

I actually feed them organic broiler feed and free access to oyster shells, after reading that layer feed can kill roosters because of the excess calcium. She has been on that diet for the past 5 months.

Yeah, that was my conclusion too. I gave her a bath to get all the gunk off and gave ger probiotics. I forgot to give her electroytes though. I will give her some tomorrow along with a calcium tablet. She stayed in the house after the bath and perked right back up. She wasn't interested in the scrambled egg at the time, but when I brought her back to the flock, she immediately began foraging, eating and drinking.

This is her first soft-shelled egg, so I will keep an eye on her.

I actually feed them organic broiler feed and free access to oyster shells, after reading that layer feed can kill roosters because of the excess calcium. She has been on that diet for the past 5 months.

Back
Top Bottom