White stuff on chickens head feathers? (pics included)

JCBRB

Hatching
Apr 8, 2015
Hello all,

I've noticed some weird white stuff on the feathers on my chickens head. Is it a mold or something? If so, what should I do?

She is a 3 year old Welsummer. She seems otherwise happy, pecking around the yard and whatnot. I will admit, some of the bedding in their coop is a little wet. I'll be changing that very soon.

Pictures below:

Thanks!

Thanks!

It's funny, she's been through several molts while we've had her and this is the first time I've noticed such conspicuous pin feathers. Usually I can tell because of the feathers covering every square inch of my yard and coop.

I have a golden laced Wyandotte who is about 18 months old with the exact same feathers. She also has an extremely pale comb. Is this really just molting? She's been this way for a few months now, and seems otherwise healthy but I'm concerned that there could be an underlying issue. Thank you!

I have a golden laced Wyandotte who is about 18 months old with the exact same feathers. She also has an extremely pale comb. Is this really just molting? She's been this way for a few months now, and seems otherwise healthy but I'm concerned that there could be an underlying issue. Thank you!
I have a rescue hen whose head feathers have just done the same and her comb is a bit pale. I am hoping it is just moulting and pin feathers

I have a rescue hen whose head feathers have just done the same and her comb is a bit pale. I am hoping it is just moulting and pin feathers
It is. Her comb is a bit pale because she is laying less, if at all, while she molts. Some slow down laying much more than others during their molts just like some molt much faster than others.

Back
Top Bottom