1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Sultan laid a second red (bloody) egg after a long hiatus..HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DelcoChix, Apr 19, 2011.

1. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    My DD's favorite hen, Pip, went on egg-laying strike when she went through her first molt last September, over 8 months ago---came through the molt fine but has not laid another egg since, until now.
    Pip will be 3 years old next month and has been very healthy until this winter when her former 'friends,' the bantam cochin pullets decided they were jealous of her fine hairdo so they pulled it out leaving her with a bloody head and no feathers. Soo, Pip has been in her own spacious quarters for the past couple of months, doing well, feathers back, etc. but no eggs, until yesterday. She laid one yesterday, and then again today, but I noticed the bloody shell so I checked her out and found her vent looking pretty rough. Swollen a bit, matted feathers, and a bit of a foul (or fowl?) odor, but nothing protruding that would make me think prolapse.
    I've been searching BYC and a lot of the posts refer to the issue of being eggbound, and also the common issue with new egg laying pullets having bloody eggs at first...but we've raised Pip since she was a day old chick, and she had laid eggs in the past w/o a problem. Could she be eggbound even though she's obviously laying? Could she have a broken egg in her and yet still send two through?
    She seems to be very healthy otherwise but I am concerned. She's a special girl and I'm hoping this is a fluke that will just pass...but I have a feeling it won't be that easy.
    My DD did bring her in to sit in a warm bath and get cleaned up--apparently Pip enjoyed the bath so much DD had to hold her head up, she was falling asleep and at risk of drowning!
    Any ideas, sugestions,etc. would be very much appreciated. As I said, she is separated from the others so picking isn't a problem but is there anything else we should do? Thanks for your help.

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Bump!

Hmmm...the odor gets me. I wonder if she has an infection? Can you give her a nice warm sudsy bath...some people swear this helps their hens if they are eggbound? I hope she is not eggbound. Was the egg she laid larger than normal?

edited to add incomplete thought...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  3. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Thanks for the ideas, Muggsmagee...I too was concerned about the odor but am not sure if it's feces that have sort of 'stuck' to the bloody residue clumping around her vent area. She did get a warm bath last night, but no suds...hmm. I guess I wouldn't think she's eggbound because she's laid two in two days, and their size would be a 'medium' size in my opinion, and more along those loner, oval shaped ones, not the larger, rounder ones that my big girls lay (not that any of them look like they'd be easy to expel from one's body!). It's just odd because she hasn't laid an egg since last fall when she began her first molt, right before the county fair. Will be doing another thorough check tonight when I get home from work and hope to see things looking better...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by