1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Sussex Breeders in the US?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Conventio Liberi, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Conventio Liberi

Conventio Liberi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    Indy!
    Any breeders of Large White Sussex in the US?

2. Conventio Liberi

Nov 3, 2010
    Indy!
    Anyone?

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I do not think that there are. You might look into White Rocks. There is some extremely nice stock out there.

4. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    I don't believe so. We at Greenfire Farms keep pretty close tabs on Sussex (we imported the coros and silvers into America), and we do not believe the whites or browns exist here. We do intend to try import some whites from Britain soon. They are extremely rare even in Britain. You might find this interesting:

http://britannicrarebreeds.co.uk/criticallist.php

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  5. Conventio Liberi

Nov 3, 2010
    Indy!
    Quote:Fantastic, thanks!
    Is the unit of measure on the charts Single Birds or Flocks?

I recommend anyone interested in rare breeds and preservation thereof to take a look at the link stoneunhenged provided.

Stone... I just noticed you have considered importation of Brown Sussex as well? If you don't mind me quoting your site
    http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/sussex/
    "When
    we imported the coronations and silvers in the summer of that year,[2007] we created a sensation in the poultry world because of the remarkable appearance of these birds. We are endeavoring to import the remaining varieties that are unrepresented here; the whites and the browns."

How is that venture comming?
    BROWN SUSSEX ARE TO DIE FOR.
    You take pre-orders on the browns? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  6. stoneunhenged

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    I'm glad you're interested in the whites and browns. The browns are perhaps the least known and, despite their uninspiring name, arguably the most beautiful of all the Sussex. We don't take orders for a breed or variety until it is on U.S. soil. Keep checking the website and hopefully you'll see something next year.

7. Conventio Liberi

Nov 3, 2010
    Indy!
    aesthetically speaking the browns are simply sublime. A flock of Brown Sussex would be breathtaking.

It is a shame that so few exist in the world.

I am more than thankful that Greenfire Farms is taking the lead in attempting to preserve the Sussex by introducing all of the colors into the US. I earnestly hope that you will see all of them entered into the US standards in your lifetime, and I believe your hard work and investment will inspire others in the future to preserve rare breeds in their capacity.

any guesstimation as to a very rough time frame that we could expect to see them for sale? I realize that it takes some time to raise up a flock large enough that you can feel comfortable selling some pairs. I assume that if you import them in '11 that pairs would not be available until sometime in '12?

8. stoneunhenged

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    I'm guessing brown Sussex will be released by Greenfire Farms in 2012 or 2013.

9. Conventio Liberi

Nov 3, 2010
    Indy!
    Thanks for the update Stone!
    Keep us posted....
    I have cash stashed and waiting for them! (I hope inflation does not kick our tails before then!)

10. Texark

Texark New Egg

Sep 27, 2012
    It was my understanding that the white sussex was the hen used by some American breeders to get the red sexlink, is that not correct?
    I am pretty sure it is the hen used for the "cinnamon queens".

Happy New Year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by