1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Sussex- Pale comb, in a daze.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sentience, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Sentience

Sentience Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Maggie is always very active, roams the yard with our other two hens. Last night she was fine and this morning she was standing in a daze and her comb is very pale-see attached. I gave her an epsom salt bath this morning which really relaxed her. I took her out of the coop to watch her while I nurse her. I also noticed her poop was a bit green this morning. Until this morning, all three of the girls droppings looked very healthy and normal. She has been moulting for a few weeks. fyi- I have TMS, metacam, tobramycin, Nromycin and Polymycin B Sulfates and Bacitracin, and Zimecterin Gold on hand. Also have quite a few essential oils but I know some can be dangerous
    to use with birds. I've never used them for the girls btw. Just letting you know what I have on hand. My avian doc is not open today btw.

Help requested. Thank you;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Will she eat and drink?
    It's really important to keep her hydrated at the least. so try bread soaked in water if she isn't drinking of her own accord or mixing her pellets to a mush with warm water and certainly worth giving her a vitamin supplement either directly as drops in her mouth or food if she will eat or in her water if she is drinking.

Have you examined her for any unusual abdominal swellings?
    Is her crop full, empty or somewhere in between. Does it feel hard or soft and pliable. Does her breath smell bad?

Green poop can be an indication of starvation... chickens tend to hide illness until they feel really ill so it may be that she has not been eating properly for several days...they even pretend to eat but sometimes just pick up and drop the same piece of food....so you wouldn't necessarily notice that she wasn't actually taking anything in....Or, if she has a blockage, the food may not be going through her system and again that would effectively cause starvation. Of course there can be other causes of green poop, but it is a common one.

Examine her keel bone. Does it feel quite sharp or well padded? Again, sharp, would suggest that there is a problem with her digestive system.

How old is she and do you have any idea when she last laid an egg? I appreciate that she is moulting and may therefore not be currently laying. Have you heard her coughing and/or sneezing or wheezing? If you think she may be egg bound, then a gentle internal exam with a lubricated finger should confirm, but if she is moulting then my guess would be that she has stopped laying since light sussex are not a high production bird.

I would not give antibiotics unless you are pretty sure she has an infection.

Also, if your climate is turning cold as it is here, she would benefit from being brought into the warm. That may have been why she was better after her bath...assuming it was warm water.

Hopefully with answers to the above questions we might be able to narrow down the possible causes of her illness.

Best wishes

Barbara

3. Sentience

Sentience Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    She's very lethargic and will not move much at all. I've got her sitting inside with me.

Will she eat and drink?
    It's really important to keep her hydrated at the least. so try bread soaked in water if she isn't drinking of her own accord or mixing her pellets to a mush with warm water and certainly worth giving her a vitamin supplement either directly as drops in her mouth or food if she will eat or in her water if she is drinking.

Not eating or drinking. I gave her a little bit of water through a syringe. She is just squatting and not active at all.

Have you examined her for any unusual abdominal swellings? Examined her and there are no unusual abdominal swellings.

Is her crop full, empty or somewhere in between. Does it feel hard or soft and pliable. Does her breath smell bad?

Green poop can be an indication of starvation... chickens tend to hide illness until they feel really ill so it may be that she has not been eating properly for several days...they even pretend to eat but sometimes just pick up and drop the same piece of food....so you wouldn't necessarily notice that she wasn't actually taking anything in....Or, if she has a blockage, the food may not be going through her system and again that would effectively cause starvation. Of course there can be other causes of green poop, but it is a common one. I have not noticed her NOT eating leading up to today. Her crop is not full.

Examine her keel bone. Does it feel quite sharp or well padded? Again, sharp, would suggest that there is a problem with her digestive system. Keel bone fairly sharp.

How old is she and do you have any idea when she last laid an egg? I appreciate that she is moulting and may therefore not be currently laying. Have you heard her coughing and/or sneezing or wheezing? If you think she may be egg bound, then a gentle internal exam with a lubricated finger should confirm, but if she is moulting then my guess would be that she has stopped laying since light sussex are not a high production bird. She is 1.5-2 years old. She hasn't laid that I can tell since she started moulting a few weeks ago. Have not heard or noticed coughing or wheezing. Just started noticing a little drainage by nostril but may be some of water I gave her through syringe. She does not appear egg bound. I'm familiar with it. Just tested and did not feel anything abnormal.

I would not give antibiotics unless you are pretty sure she has an infection.

Also, if your climate is turning cold as it is here, she would benefit from being brought into the warm. That may have been why she was better after her bath...assuming it was warm water. Weather is changing but nothing too significant. Yes, it was warm water.

Hopefully with answers to the above questions we might be able to narrow down the possible causes of her illness.

Best wishes

Barbara

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  4. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    If her keel bone is quite sharp then that suggests that there has probably been an underlying problem for more than a week, probably several weeks. Chickens are good at hiding illness. I would be concerned that it may be a wasting disorder like cancer or Marek's but worms or coccidia could certainly cause her to lose condition and are easily treated. Do you worm regularly? I'm not personally a fan of routine worming but it might help rule that possibility out if you do? Once chickens lose too much condition, they no longer want to eat and sometimes tube feeding can get them over that sticking point, but hydrating them first should be the priority.

Have you had her from being a chick? Was she vaccinated for Marek's. Have you introduced any new chickens recently?

Have you tried tempting her with treats like warm scrambled egg or warm bread and milk?

I may be mistaken but water syringed into her oesophagus should not be able to come down her nose, so I would monitor that more closely. Does her breathing look/sound normal?

You say her crop isn't full.... does it have any contents and if so, how do the contents feel?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by