White sussex poorly.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lemoniee, Nov 14, 2009.

1. lemoniee

lemoniee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    I noticed some blood on one of my collected eggs yesterday then i noticed my white sussex had blood around her vent on her feathers, after managing to catch her and inspect her more closley, me and my OH found that she had an area about the diameter of a coke can is all red and raw with red scabby bleeding parts, we cleaned it with a jay cloth and water and dried it and let her go off to play, she didnt flinch or make a noise when we were cleaning her up [​IMG]

Does anyone know what this could be? if it was any other of my girls i would think they had been hen pecked but as shes the main bully then i dont think she'd let anyone do it to her, we are thinking of putting her to bed on her own to see if it could be hen pecking at night?

thanks

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I bet she is getting pecked. I would also suspect that she has lice or mites that may have made the area bad to begin with. Separating here is definately a good idea.

3. lemoniee

lemoniee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    Thanks for thast BirdBrain ill separate her tonight but she wont be best pleased!

[​IMG]

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Nighttime is not the only time you should separate her. Chickens don't see well at night do the chances of that being the primary pick time is almost nill. I would keep here separate until her backside is no longer red and scabby. Check her really close at night for mites and lice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by