White "thrush" on chicken's tongue and mouth

Gbug

Hatching
Oct 7, 2017
I was recently observing my chickens while they eat, doing some routine check ups and noticed one of my RIR (10 mo) was eating her food a bit odd, shaking her head, and appeared to be struggling to swallow. I took her aside and after some gentle prodding, manage to get a look inside her mouth and it looks as though she has thrush on her tongue and inside her mouth. Any ideas what this could be? Can chicken get thrush? How to treat? Any insight helps, Thanks!

Feeding 16%-20% Protein Layer Pellets, Scratch, meal worms for treats, supplemental grits & oyster shells.

Pictures would help, but i do believe chickens can get thrush. If this is indeed what she has go to your pharmacist and ask for genetian violet and put a drop in her beak once a day for a week. Be careful, it's purple and it stains but it's a thrush killer.:)
Oh gosh, I’m not sure she’d allow any pictures. :hmm I will look into the genetian violet! Thanks!

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your girl is having trouble. :(

Thrush is a yeast infection and it can happen to chickens.

I'm no expert... but I would treat by adding raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar (with mother) in the water. Alter the PH, it should help. I think regular dose is 1 tablespoon per gallon of water, but please do your own research in regards to that. Also, it doesn't just alter the ph, but gives probiotics. At least while treating I would cut the scratch and maybe add in some plain yogurt. :)

Some might first do an epsom salt flush. I wouldn't. You can also look up vent gleet since they are related, it may give you some clues or helpful hints. :confused:

Of course Merck is generally a good resource.

Good luck! :fl

If these treatments do not work, you could give nystatin a try, works quite well. Nystatin does a great job at targeting the candida fungus. You do need a prescription but i have been able to buy it in the past simply by explaining the situation and saying i got a recommendation from someone with experience. Im sure the other treatment will work it is just and extra suggestion incase.

Back
Top Bottom