white toe nailed silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joe17, Aug 4, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Songster

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have a question about some silkie chicks. I have only a couple of silkies that have black feet but white nails. Should I breed this bird or show it? I would think it would just grow out. Ohh and one of them has 4 black nails and 1 white one! Should I breed her and show her?? I never noticed in the standards that the nails should all be black. idk

2. ultasol

ultasol Songster

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Don't worry about it. Some seem to outgrow it and some don't. There are a few lines that tend to throw the chicks with pink toes at hatch.

3. New Hatcher

New Hatcher In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    I have some chicks with the samething but the ones with the white toes also have white tips on the end of the wings and a gray colored chest.

4. ultasol

ultasol Songster

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I don't get the off colored feathers at hatch, just the skin of the toes. It has often changed with age, but not always.

5. canyoncritters

canyoncritters In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Silverado
    My cuckoo and splash silkies hatch with the white tipped toes, oh and the lavenders. they do always outgrow it, or at least mine do, and they have shown fine. [​IMG]

6. New Hatcher

New Hatcher In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    I don't mind the funny colors I don't think mine are show quality anyways just pets and for myself to breed. I hope to get hens to help me hatch out my other eggs, because I share a bator with someone else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by