White watery poop and lethargic

snmartinez

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 29, 2014
Baker, California
My rhode island red hen has had extremly runny poop with just a little white in it but it is mostly white, she also refuses to get up on her own we picked her up and she just hobbles back to the corner. Please help. Thank you

Update: my mom thinks she is waiting for the rooster to get to buisness but I am not surethe white part of the poop is sticking to her feathers.

Last edited:

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
How old is she, and is she new to you or have you added new chickens recently? Coccidiosis could be a problem if she hasn't built immunity to it yet. That is treated with Corid or Ampromed, brand names of amprollium. Could she have worms? I would also look at her vent area and belly for any lice or mites, or their eggs at the base of feathers. Feel her crop to check if it is impacted and hard. The white in the poop is urine or kidney waste.

snmartinez

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 29, 2014
Baker, California
She is a couple of years old at least I was gifted her two months ago and she had stopped laying before that. I did introduce a rooster last week and he and the other members of the flock do not seem to be sick. I looked at a poop chart and it actually looks like it might be normal it is hot right now so my next question is do hens lay and wait for a rooster to come do his buisness.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0[/URL]

Here is the poop chart I used.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
If you brought in the rooster last week without quarantine for at least a month to make sure that he wasn't bringing in any illness, it's possible that your hen is sick because of him. He could have brought in a new strain or cocci, or something else. And no, hens don't wait around for roosters to mate them. They usually go about their business of foraging and hanging out with their favorite friends. They will squat for roosters if they want to.

Top Bottom