White Wyandottes - gender please??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ladi Jules, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Ladi Jules

Ladi Jules New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

I got these as 2 day old chicks from a Hatchery the beginning of May. They are both supposed to be White Wyandotte sexed pullets and are about 12 weeks old now. I suspect one of them is a rooster though! They are both the same age, but the one on the left (Snowball) is smaller than the other one, the tail feathers seem blunted, the comb has barely come in and its so pale its almost white. The other one (Eggbert) , on the right, has a long, tapered tail, the comb and wattles are almost in and they are BRIGHT red! Their behavior doesn't seem to be much different from one another, but Eggbert does seem to be less shy and always checks everything out, while Snowball tends to run and hide. Eggbert also seems to be more vocal, though I haven't heard a "cock-a-doddle-do". Can you tell me if they are of different genders? thank you!!!!!

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    YES! One cockerel one pullet. Hatcheries aren't 100% accurate in their sexing, so there will be an occasional male. If you can't have roosters and specifically ordered pullets, I would contact them and most likely they will refund or replace your purchase price. (At least the good ones do).

3. Ladi Jules

Ladi Jules New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    So is Eggbert the boy? Its not really a problem, I live in a rural area so I don't have any zoning laws saying what chickens I can have. The next question is.... I've also got other varieties of Wyandottes (silver and gold laced) as well as a dominque. Will he breed with them? LOL... my husband is a bit worried... said something about not wanting to have "beaks in the eggs".

4. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    yes he will do his job or at least try to do his job with all of them. as for the eggs just collect them every day and you will be fine

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:

Yes Eggbert is the boy. Generally boys will be larger, have bigger legs and feet, longer hackle and saddle feathers, and obviously bigger and redder combs. They will generally have more of an upright stance too. Yes he will eventually breed all of your females, (after he works his way up the pecking order), and if you don't want them to have babies just collect the eggs daily, if you do want babies you will have to wait until one of your hens goes broody or if you have an incubator you can hatch them yourself. The babies will still be considered Wyandottes, but they will not be a standard color (ie. white, silver-laced, etc) so therefore would be considered mixed, mutts, etc. [​IMG] I love Wyandottes, enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  6. Ladi Jules

Ladi Jules New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    Thank you so much!!! I don't mind mixes.... these are pretty much just for eggs. I do like that breed! I live in upstate NY with VERY cold winters.. I chose them because they are cold hardy, but they seem to have a good personality too! thank you so much for the information! LOL... now I get to break it to my husband. Oh our neighbors are going to LOVE us!!! I hope Eggbert isn't too loud!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by