White wyandottes/Rhode Island Whites....how do they differ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Aiden Kendall, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Aiden Kendall

Aiden Kendall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2009
    Wrightsville, GA
    This may be a silly [​IMG] question but I had seen pics of some RIWs here recently and was hoping someone could explain the difference between them and White Wyandottes? I have a few of the WWs and to my untrained eye, I really couldn't distinguish between the two.

Thanks

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Assuming two properly bred birds the difference is obvious. The Rhode Island White has a level top line & a long brick shaped body. The Wyandotte on the other hand is shorter bodied & rounder.

3. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    A true Wyandotte , when viewed from the side, looks like a big heart. Also most RIW have a 5 pointed comb, though there is a rose comb variety.

Wyandottes always should have a rose comb.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Actually Rhode Island White's are rose combed only. There are people selling what they call Single Combed Rhode Island Whites but in a show they would be disqualified as they are not standardized in single combed.
    [BTW that "5 pointed comb" you referenced is called a single comb.]

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Maybe they were thinking of white rocks?

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:There are some hatcheries that sell single combed "RIWs" , I have 8 of these pullets from Privett that I will use to make Sexlinks, though they are not true RIWs, they were probably crossed with Rocks a ways back. The true RIWs are only standized in rose comb, like NYREDS said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by