White Wyandottes vs. RIR & NHR

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WindDancer, Jan 2, 2011.

1. WindDancer

WindDancer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Farmer City, IL
    We currently have a flock of RIR and NHR with a couple odd balls in there (a sex linked cross hen and a Cookoo Maran hen) We are considering doing away with the RIR and NHR as we are very unhappy with them as far as egg production, broodyness, meat quality. We are thinking about White Wyandottes. I like the looks of them, size, comb, egg production, broodyness. Has anyone had any experience with the WW and could help me compare them to the RIR/NHR. Any info would be great!!

Thanks!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    First, I don't want to sound rude, but since you said "New Hampshire red" I'm assuming you have hatchery stock birds, which means honestly, there's a reason why you're getting poor meat quality and broodiness. [​IMG] And you aren't going to get any better by getting Wyandottes from a hatchery/feedstore/local either. [​IMG]

Honestly, if you want a good dual purpose breed (broody, good egg production, good meat qualities) then STAY with Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshires, in fact you can even add Wyandottes to the equation, just do NOT go with hatchery quality. [​IMG] They will always be thin, non-broody, and usually are great egg layers but sometimes aren't.

There are some really good breeders here of true to type, heritage, dual purpose Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshires (real ones are exceedingly rare though) and Wyandottes. They all offer a great amount of meat, good egg production, and are pretty broody. [​IMG]

3. WindDancer

May 15, 2009
    Farmer City, IL
    Thanks Illia... And you were no where near rude!! I am greatful for the honesty [​IMG] now to find someone with those 3 types [​IMG] I'd prefer to get chicks and not hatching eggs as I have had NO luck with hatching right now. Time to post in a new area [​IMG] thanks again!!

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I have 3 White Wyandottes that are hens for sure and another one that has some rooish features but I havent decided yet, he is no where near as developed as my Barred Wyandotte roo though if he is. They are not hatchery birds and they are from Pauls Poultry who is a Wyandotte breeder and has very nice quality birds and I'm thinking my Barred roo may be carrying one copy of Rec White as Jesse Paul says his whites are usually carrying barring so I'm hoping to breed him to the White hens and get Barred, White, and Black chicks from them ( since the roo is Het Barred) But I may be able to sell some eggs sometime this year after I see what I hatch from them, but I dont ship chicks.

I also have a friend that as amazing exhibition RIRs and she will be shipping chicks, she and I live near William Bennet here and Ga. and he is the breeder but he has sold most of his hens and will be restocking his breeders and shouldnt have anything to sale this year so our other friend who got her reds directly from him will be selling and shipping chicks from her Reds this year.

Please PM me if you would be interested in either of them.

5. WindDancer

May 15, 2009
    Farmer City, IL
    RareRoo -- Do you know what they charge per chick?? I'll let my husband know. My son shows in the fair here in IL and did well with his Pen of Old Hens (got Champion!!) but we want more of the Show Types here [​IMG]

Thanks

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I PMed You.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by