1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Wyandottes?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by beakkeeper, Jan 18, 2009.

1. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Pretty, cold-hardy, not scary monster Cornish mutants, a heritage breed--and they're meaty looking. Has anyone ever processed some WW cockerels? or even hens?

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I haven't but I am always interested in hearing about the non-cornish/broiler meat birds.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You can use any heavy breed you like. You'll get chickens in about 16 weeks ready to eat. The carcass shape on any heavy breed will look very 'strange' to you, kinda like it was starved. This is just normal. The sad truth, though, is that heavy breeds do not convert food well to muscle, take a long time to grow, a very much roosters (and will harass your pullets relentlessly) by the time they are ready. When you look at the bottom line, buying in organic, free range chicken from Whole Foods will be far cheaper.

Your best results will be making your own backyard hybrids/crossbreds. I put a Dark Cornish on various different hens when I feel like making my own broilers. They still will not compete with a custom bred broiler; but they will perform better than any purebred heavy breed.

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I've butchered some Wyandottes (not white but color doesn't matter for what we're talking about...)

Not anywhere near as much meat as meat specific birds but taste good.

Julie

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    If I had to pick one heavy breed to go with, which is commonly available, I'd raise black sex links cockrels. They are hybrids and in the same brooder with other chicks, they will grow quite a bit faster. The BSL's are often the dominant roosters in my flocks since they are the largest, fastest. Other birds catch up, eventually. But, if you were looking in the lifespan of a non-broiler meat bird, the BSL's would be a good route to go.

6. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Quote:

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

8. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Quote:Good thoughts, as always, greyfields. Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    If you do process yours, remember a select few of us would love to see pictures [​IMG]
    Becky

10. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by