1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White X BBRed = ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rosecomb-Ryan, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Ok now.. I am wanting to work on a project.. hoping to get Red Pyles at some point out of the project.. The cock-bird is a Recessive White that carries Blue... Then the hen is a BBRed? And Ideas?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I'd definately be intrested in the answer also.

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:it depends on the "e" allele the recessive white is based one.. lets assume it is based on WildType(e+) and blue also(Bl/bl+) and mated to a wildtype(Black Breasted Red) that is none blue(bl+/bl+) you will get a 50% chance of been a blue breasted red...

the best Red Pyle are based on Heterozygous Dominant white(I/i+) and Black Breasted Red, so if you want some plyles then the recessive white is not the way to go..

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Nicalandia is correct,
    You really have two options in the rosecomb, Breed the Blue red splash to a clean white with red hackle, saddle etc. till have a Red Pyle, But if it were me I would outcross to OE then Run an F1xF1 select back for Rosecomb and Color then work type it will likely take 3-5 generations.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    You don't say what breed. Assuming it's OEGB why not just get some Red Pyles. There are lots of good ones around.

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:True..

Or you can have fun and re making them using other genes.. out of the possible genes that are capable of making a BBR into a Red Pyle(Dominant white, Splash, Dun,). Dun could be about the best way, why? well seems like unlike Dominant white or Splash, Dun does NOT dilute pheomelanin(gold color)..

this is a Fawn Duckwing "Sport"(homozygous for Dun I^D/I^D) not my birds

[​IMG]

Splash Based Red Pyle or Blue Breasted Red "Sports" in the OEG breeding Circles
    [​IMG]

and an Original Red Pyle OEG based on Homozygous Dominant White(I/I) as you see homzygous dominant white can fade the red color alot..
    [​IMG]

7. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    Ryan is breeding Rosecombs......and wanting to know of the cross between these two Rosecomb varieties. Nice photos of Old English.....beautiful color varieties.

8. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:it shows you how one can arrive at same phenotype(Looks) with different genes

9. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    I love working with different genes as well......I'm experimenting with about 6 different varieties of Pyncheons....I really want to improve the Silver Mille Fleur variety. Nice thread!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by