Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Hi!
This chick is from a white Silkie roo mated with a blue Silkie hen.
The down color is tan, but it looks like the new feathers coming in the wing-tips are white.

289332728.jpg

All the chicks hatched so far from that pen (white roo with blue, splash, white hens) have been 'normal' colored: yellow down = white, bluegray down = blue, white down = splash.

Is the tan down color just a variation of yellow down?

Thanks!

Lisa

"...All the chicks hatched so far from that pen (white roo with blue, splash, white hens) have been 'normal' colored..." --- except that other tan chick Angie hatched.
I meant to email and ask you how your tan chick is looking. It's still looking like it's going to be a white?
Is it a runt? It looks smaller than the others.

Lynn, Probably just another boring white, lol.

I had a chick from a white to blue pen hatch out that unusual color tan too. She turned white as she feathered out.

I think she's a little smaller then the other chicks, but in the picture with the blues, the blues are standing up tall and this little one was trying to take a nap, so it does look like she's tiny.
smile.png

I went and took recent pictures of my tan chick. She is mostly white now.
100_3101.jpg

100_3103.jpg

Their feathers are growing in really fast now that I took the heat

Here's my favorite one from that hatch, Lisa. I'm not one for white chickens, but look at all the fluff on the legs.
100_3110.jpg

Every single toe has a feather and even on the inside of his hocks.
100_3111.jpg

A side view.
love.gif

Yes they are still in my house.... I can't send them out in this weather.
wink.png

Thanks for the updated pics! It IS a white!
That leaves me a little confused about colors, tho.
Wonder why that one blue hen has white chicks w/ tan down and the other blues have blue chicks (when mated w/ that white roo)?
That is some outrageous fluff on the other white one
smile.png

Lisa

I was told the whites hide all other colors, so you could have a buff that was white, or something like that. That's how it works in rabbits too, a ruby-eyed-white can be any color underneath, the rew gene basically blanks out any color underneath, think of it as throwing a white sheet over a black car...

Back
Top Bottom