White x Blue = Tan ???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Hi!
    This chick is from a white Silkie roo mated with a blue Silkie hen.
    The down color is tan, but it looks like the new feathers coming in the wing-tips are white.

[​IMG]

All the chicks hatched so far from that pen (white roo with blue, splash, white hens) have been 'normal' colored: yellow down = white, bluegray down = blue, white down = splash.

Is the tan down color just a variation of yellow down?

Thanks!

Lisa

2. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    It will be interesting to see how it colors out. Silkies are so cute.

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    That chick looks familiar!
    [​IMG]
    I think a week old here.
    [​IMG]
    Here he/she is in between the blues, actually feathering out white.

4. "...All the chicks hatched so far from that pen (white roo with blue, splash, white hens) have been 'normal' colored..." --- except that other tan chick Angie hatched.
    I meant to email and ask you how your tan chick is looking. It's still looking like it's going to be a white?
    Is it a runt? It looks smaller than the others.

Lynn, Probably just another boring white, lol.

5. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    I had a chick from a white to blue pen hatch out that unusual color tan too. She turned white as she feathered out.

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I think she's a little smaller then the other chicks, but in the picture with the blues, the blues are standing up tall and this little one was trying to take a nap, so it does look like she's tiny. [​IMG]
    I went and took recent pictures of my tan chick. She is mostly white now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Their feathers are growing in really fast now that I took the heat

Here's my favorite one from that hatch, Lisa. I'm not one for white chickens, but look at all the fluff on the legs.
    [​IMG]
    Every single toe has a feather and even on the inside of his hocks.
    [​IMG]
    A side view. [​IMG]
    Yes they are still in my house.... I can't send them out in this weather. [​IMG]

7. Thanks for the updated pics! It IS a white!
    That leaves me a little confused about colors, tho.
    Wonder why that one blue hen has white chicks w/ tan down and the other blues have blue chicks (when mated w/ that white roo)?
    That is some outrageous fluff on the other white one [​IMG]

Lisa

8. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

They are so beautiful, I hope my hatch goes well, as we are getting closer.
    That is odd, that your chick came from a blue/blue and threw a white. I am not a chicken expert though so can't help you out Lisa.

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I was told the whites hide all other colors, so you could have a buff that was white, or something like that. That's how it works in rabbits too, a ruby-eyed-white can be any color underneath, the rew gene basically blanks out any color underneath, think of it as throwing a white sheet over a black car...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by