white X cuckoo (barred)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by itay, Jul 10, 2011.

1. itay

itay Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Israel
    Hi All,
    I have white pekin male and barred pekin lady.
    crossing it , according to the genetics computer I will get 50% black females and 50% black barred male.
    is it true ?

is white male X black lady will give sold black chicks only ?

regards
    Itay

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know for sure. There are different genes that can cause a solid white chicken. The results you get from that cross will depend on which genes are present in the solid white male.

With certain white genes in the rooster, you may get all white chicks when crossed with a barred hen. Or, if certain other genes are causing the white in the rooster, you may get black pullets and barred cockerels. I am not familiar with Pekins to know which genes normally make the white ones. Since the hen is barred and she gives the barred gene to her sons but not her daughters, the roosters will all have a barred gene. But if the offspring is solid white, you will not see the barring.

Same thing for crossing a white male and black female. With certain white genes in the male, all offspring will be white, even if the hen is black. But if certain other genes are causing the white in the male, then a cross with a solid black hen will produce black offspring.

If I knew whether the Pekins had the dominant or recessive white gene, I could help you, but I don't know which it is. Sorry.

3. itay

itay Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Israel
    from other forum :

"white in pekins is recessive white. it means you must have 2 doses for it to be expressed. if you only have one dose then the bird will not be white but show 'its true colours'"

so it means that I will get chicks as I said ?

regards
    Itay

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes, with recessive white, you will get black sex link chicks. The offspring's adult colors and patternss will be as you said, females black and the males barred.

The 50% is more up to luck as to how many of which sex you hatch. If you are hatching hundreds or thousands of eggs, it will be close to 50% - 50%. But I have had hatches where 10 were one sex and 5 were the other. You have to have enough chicks for the averages to mean anything.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:This is a possibility. Normally recessive white are genetically black with recessive white changing the black to white. This may not be the case and depends on the genes found in the birds. Do not be surprised if you get birds that are not black.

Tim

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by