white yolk?

mener6896

Songster
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Noblesville, IN
I have a friend that was cooking eggs and one of the yolks was almost white. I am assuming these were store bought, non organic eggs. This was my response to her

all I know is that the more varied the diet (fruits,vegetables, protein) the brighter yellow, almost orange the yolk is. They are also more nutritious. I would assume the whiter yolk would be less vitamins/nutrients. Could've been a sick hen? or antibiotics? I'll find out...

Was I correct, or does anyone know the answer?

Light colored yolks ( I say they look anemic) are the result of diet. And organic store eggs still can't hold a candle to eggs of birds fed dark greens, squash, etc. Free range eggs are darker yolked due to their consumption of greens and bugs while roaming and much lower in cholesterol, generally, plus higher in certain vitamins.

That's not to say there couldnt be some other cause of a very light yolk. Not very appetizing is it?

All my research has told me that "commercial" chickens are bred to lay a eggs that are a consistant size, color and texture. As the site previously mentioned chickens can be fed things to affect the color of the yolk. It only stands to reason that not enough "maize" (corn) etc. etc. was in the feed for these particular birds.

Certainly our chickens egss are affected by what we feed them. That said, it is proven that the darker leafy greens we eat are better for us and it only makes sense that it is better for our chickens. I have a friend who has kale that is still dark green even though it is covered in snow and cold.
I fully intend to grow some next year so my birds can have a steady supply of dark leafy greens, instead of the enemic head lettuce I buy at the store.

Also if you sell eating eggs you owe to yourself and all of us here to include literature with your eggs about the health benefits of our eggs. I just make copies of information from periodicals and put a copy inside the cartons. Thereby avoiding someone saying your making it up.

I know this thread is almost 2 yrs old, but I'm new to chickens and I'm having this problem with one of my hens. She lays an egg almost every day and it is ALWAYS very pale/white yolked. She is in the same coop with 9 other hens and 1 roo. They all get the same layer feed, oyster shell and granite grit free choice and of course water. All of the other eggs are perfectly yolked!! Beautiful dark yellow/orange!! Does anyone have any idea why 1 hen would be doing this when the rest are fine?

Back
Top Bottom