Whiteish eneven scales on my chick’s feet?

chickkie

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2021
Hi so i was just noticing the whiteish scales on my to be almost 5 month old chick, is it something i should be concerned about or is this normal? The rest of the flock doesn’t seem to have this? Pls reply me back with your opinions

Attachments

• 6EE7D65A-A644-4575-8B85-B8A98AF741FE.jpeg
    6EE7D65A-A644-4575-8B85-B8A98AF741FE.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 77EBEDB9-2C5A-4C43-9B30-FB5FE62F2CC6.jpeg
    77EBEDB9-2C5A-4C43-9B30-FB5FE62F2CC6.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 5
Hi so i was just noticing the whiteish scales on my to be almost 5 month old chick, is it something i should be concerned about or is this normal? The rest of the flock doesn’t seem to have this? Pls reply me back with your opinions
Those legs look like she has Scaly Leg Mites. I would smear a thick coat of Vaseline on her legs pushing it up under the scales. Repeat every two days and do it for a month or more.
Carefully check the legs on the rest of the flock for any sign of lifted scales and treat any others that have it.

Looks like leg mites, treat with petroleum jelly or vegetable oil every day making sure to soak the legs and feet well for two weeks. It takes time for new scales to grow but the mitres will suffocate at the first treatment.

Those legs look like she has Scaly Leg Mites. I would smear a thick coat of Vaseline on her legs pushing it up under the scales. Repeat every two days and do it for a month or more.
Carefully check the legs on the rest of the flock for any sign of lifted scales and treat any others that have it.
I will start the treatment immediately but the problem is that this chick roams around a lot in my backyard or i could keep it enclosed in the room where its mother is currently being broody. If i apply vaseline on its scales using a glove and leave it to be wont the dirt get stuck to its feet? I mean i can apply the vaseline but will it be a problem if i leave it to be on its own because i have a busy schedule if i need to continuously moniter where its roaming around the backyard

Looks like leg mites, treat with petroleum jelly or vegetable oil every day making sure to soak the legs and feet well for two weeks. It takes time for new scales to grow but the mitres will suffocate at the first treatment.
Hi can you please elaborate on this treatment do i apply vaseline on its feet and leave it to be in my backyard or do i soak its feet into vegetable oil and wait for it dry up so that i can leave her back in the backyard?

Hi can you please elaborate on this treatment do i apply vaseline on its feet and leave it to be in my backyard or do i soak its feet into vegetable oil and wait for it dry up so that i can leave her back in the backyard?
You can apply either, I use spray vegetable oil, vaseline is also good, it is a personal choice as both work well making sure that the legs and feet are well saturated with the oil and leave the chick alone to do its own thing. Repeat daily for two weeks.

I will start the treatment immediately but the problem is that this chick roams around a lot in my backyard or i could keep it enclosed in the room where its mother is currently being broody. If i apply vaseline on its scales using a glove and leave it to be wont the dirt get stuck to its feet? I mean i can apply the vaseline but will it be a problem if i leave it to be on its own because i have a busy schedule if i need to continuously moniter where its roaming around the backyard
There is a vet approved three day treatment that entails dipping the legs in gasoline and letting them dry then rubbing in a layer of A&D Ointment.
Apply A&D Ointment only on the second day.
Gasoline dip/dry and A&D Ointment on the third day and the treatment is over.
It doesn't matter if dirt gets stuck in the Vaseline or the ointment.

Back
Top Bottom