Whiterock/Rhode Island Reds ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by reksat, Mar 14, 2011.

1. reksat

reksat Chirping

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Raising chickens for me and my daughter is new.Our chicks are due to arrive in mid April. Is this breed well suited for laying and also are they hearty?We live in western MD where the weather is very unpredictible from about October through June. The coop is coming shortly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ..This is a project that my daughter wants to try,and i think we will all enjoy. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    do you want info on a cross of these breeds, or each inidivual breed?

3. reksat

reksat Chirping

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    My local feed store tells me that they are crossed/mixed breed. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  4. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I've raised both breeds, but never a cross, but I think that they would be a good dual purpose bird. I would think you would get hybrid vigor like you get from sex links! I think that they would be hardy with adequate shelter! Go for it!

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Songster

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I'm sure they mean they are sex links RIR roo with White Rock hens are red sex links or any other exotic name they wish to give them

6. reksat

reksat Chirping

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Thanks for the info. Come to think about it ,the RIR roo with the Whiterock hen makes since.This whole thing is new to our family so i'm sure their will be alot more questions .I appreciate the replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: