Whiting Farms in Co. What do you know about them?

Pics

ronott1

A chicken will always remember the egg
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
I saw a price sheet for them:

Their Website is her: http://www.whitingfarms.com/index.html

But they do not have poultry listed I the products page. Any information about them, like customer service, shipping quality and quality of their breeds would be greatly appreciated!

Today I got an email from Tom Whiting:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hello Ron[/FONT]

Thank you for contacting Whiting Farms about chicks.

My business model is to supply our local market for a radius of about 300 miles, so we can avoid using the postal service. And therefore are not shipping chicks out of state. Sorry.

This would be a great local source for those living in Colorado.

I live about 60 miles from the farm and got a handful of chicks..both blue and green layers. They are the calmest quietest chicks I have ever had...$1.00 each.

I live about 60 miles from the farm and got a handful of chicks..both blue and green layers. They are the calmest quietest chicks I have ever had...$1.00 each.
It would be great if Whiting Farms would ship them. I would love to get some of the Green layers.....

Post pictures please!
pop.gif

Whiting Farms was the developer of the Arkansas Blues aka UofA Blue Egg Layers. However they also developed a Brown Leghorn that lays blue eggs. We now have one (1) of those. Per the description, I believe that Whiting Farms has incorporated the blues with the brown birds and selling them as Whiting blues. However, the UofA Blue egg layers, the Arkansas Blues, are not the same breed that Whiting now sells. These were genetically selected for two traits, the Andalusian Blue color and the blue egg color. The "chipmunk" colored chicks appear to be a blue egg laying strain of very good quality Brown Leghorns. We now have one pullet of this strain. It sounds like Whiting Farms has either crossed the two lines or are selling chicks from both lines as a mixture, calling them Whiting Blues.

Whiting Farms is a fly tying business. He produces feathers for fish fly tying. He has been described as a genetics expert that crosses various breeds to create new breeds just for fish fly tying. There is also a domesticated mink farm nearby and most of his processed chicken goes to the mink farm. The feathers become fish flies!

You can learn more about Whiting Farms at http://www.whitingfarms.com/about_01.html

Quote:
Here is a photo from Whiting Farms website of his Herbert/Miner male mounted.

The site also lists that Thomas Whiting attended college at the University of Georgia and the University of Arkansas. Both are schools that Dr. Keith Bramwell attended. Thus when he said these were developed by a long time friend, we now see how long time their friendship has been. We should all appreciate both men for what they have brought to the chicken world.

Can you tell us if the chicks are two breeds or just a colorful mixture? The "Arkansas Blues" are blue, black and splash. The blue egg laying Brown Leghorns are a brown. Would love to see photos of your flock.

Back
Top Bottom