Whiting True Blue Stopped Laying

fmorlando1

Chirping
Jun 29, 2021
I have one Whiting True Blue hen 9 1/2 months old. She started laying at around 6 months and went strong, at least 5 eggs a week, then about 6 weeks ago completley stopped laying. She seems healthy and is very active, definitely not molting or broody. I am getting plenty of eggs from my other 14 hens but they are all brown egg layers so if one stopped I wouldn't necessarily notice. I know egg production can slow down in the winter but does it completely stop for some hens? If it is seasonal when would you expect laying to start back up?

For many hens in their second winter, laying does stop.
It depends on genetics... it's one of those traits that nature would never tolerate as it makes no sense for the natural hen. Yet humans have been selecting for hens that will continue to lay as the days get darker, for hundreds of years, with mixed results. Results that are easy to lose, as people also prefer to raise chicks in spring, so more spring eggs are incubated.

However, the timing is off with your hen. The winter vacation usually starts in late fall and work resumes in February.
If she stopped 6 weeks ago then it was less about winter and more about her personal siesta needs. Make sure she has enough calcium available in one form or another, and good protein (20% +). Check for stressors that may be affecting your flock (predators lurking, social dynamics, etc.)
Hopefully as spring continues to brighten, she will get back to it.

I have one Whiting True Blue hen 9 1/2 months old. She started laying at around 6 months and went strong, at least 5 eggs a week, then about 6 weeks ago completley stopped laying. She seems healthy and is very active, definitely not molting or broody. I am getting plenty of eggs from my other 14 hens but they are all brown egg layers so if one stopped I wouldn't necessarily notice. I know egg production can slow down in the winter but does it completely stop for some hens? If it is seasonal when would you expect laying to start back up?
Do you free range?
Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Would help to know....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1678965615768.png

Back
Top Bottom