Whitish Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amyfitz100, Nov 16, 2014.

1. amyfitz100

amyfitz100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    Two of my chickens have combs that are whitish. They are both eat 20% protein layer feed and always have plenty of water. The white hen is 16 months old and has not laid an egg since 7/29. The brown one is 7 months and has been laying about a week (her 4 eggs have had a little blood on the outside, but I assume that's because she's new). The front half of her comb is fine, but the back half looks kind of white. I will try to post pics. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    First a few questions:

Have you wormed recently? The EE looks like she could have low blood count, which could be due parasites.

Have you dusted them for lice? With the cold weather I wouldn't think this would be an issue but weirder things happen.

Another thing I found is a fungus infection called favus. It causes a white flakey growth on the combs and ears.

3. amyfitz100

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    I have not ever wormed them (what do I do?), and have not noticed lice on any of them before. I posted on a different thread that we also noticed a couple of black spots on my BR's legs, and don't know if that is anything. I've never had any health problems with my chickens before (other than one bout of frostbite on a comb last year), so I guess I've been lucky until now. What should I do first?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  5. amyfitz100

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    Okay, good, something we can fix. Do I buy that at TSC?

6. amyfitz100

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    Oh. I looked it up. So I can buy that kind of thing anywhere, I guess. Lol.

7. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Yup! Walmart carries it. And thanks for posting this, I have seen it in the past and always wondered what it was. So I learned something! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by