Whitish Diarrhea and red butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MontanaMomma, Jul 25, 2010.

1. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    My Leghorn hen, who is over a year old, has whitish diarrhea that leaks from her bottom. It started out thicker and of a dark color and stuck to her feathers. She promptly pulled out her feathers on her behind. So now her butt is red and sore looking also. She is eating, drinking, laying and acting normal. No changes in diet etc. This has been going on for a few weeks. No other chickens are having this problem. Any ideas?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Could be nothing. Some hens just have dirty butts. I have one that just gets her butt fluff trimmed regularly, although it seems to be getting better. (Now that she's over 4yo)

Here's the poop page. There is some white watery poop a little over half way down the page.

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Good luck

Imp

3. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    I gave her a bath and some yogurt with Epson salt. I also put some Desitin on her bumm. It is strange, because when she poops it looks normal, but she has the white water stuff leaking out, which I'm sure is making her bumm area sore. I fashioned a diaper for her out of a dust mask (works quite well!!) and she will be hanging out in the house with us for a bit. The heat might be throwing her for a loop as well. Thanks for the link- I'm not so worried. I'll keep ya'll posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by