Whitish scabbing comb?

feralhound

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 21, 2016
Jax, FL

This is Tyson Chicken, he's a 4 month old DUccle Roo, my only roo out of my flock of 7.

I'm new to chickens, not sure if this is a fungal infection or chicken pox? He's not acting sick, eating/drinking. I live in Florida where with all the rain brought a ton of mosquitos, plus it's damp/warm, so I guess it could go either way?

It does look like it could be the start of down pox. I would remove him from the flock and hope the others don't get infected. It is a virus and has to run its course. The only thing you can do is provide supplemental support. Vitamins/minerals/probiotics/etc. If lesions start to form in the mouth or respiratory issues they will need medication to pull through as that is the wet form and can cause them to strangle to death. Right now yours look like dry form which generally isn't dangerous.

It does look like it could be the start of down pox. I would remove him from the flock and hope the others don't get infected. It is a virus and has to run its course. The only thing you can do is provide supplemental support. Vitamins/minerals/probiotics/etc. If lesions start to form in the mouth or respiratory issues they will need medication to pull through as that is the wet form and can cause them to strangle to death. Right now yours look like dry form which generally isn't dangerous.
Did your auto correct cause you to write down pox for fowl pox? I agree with you--looks like fowl pox from mosquitoes.

Thank you guys! How contagious is the virus? For some reason the flock doesn't sleep on roosts durring the night they all still like to huddle together in the shaving so I'm kind of wondering if everyone has been exposed already.

Fowl pox is fairly contagious and is spread by mosquitoes, but it also spreads through any exposure to the sores. Leave scabs alone, but if any are near the eyes, I would recommend putting Terramycin ointment into the eyes twice a day to prevent infections and blindness. If any stop eating or look poorly they could be developing the wet type of pox with lesions inside the throat and airway. Here is some reading for you:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/63/fowl-pox-pox-avian-pox/
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/195/fowl-pox/

Back
Top Bottom