Whitish spots on my roosters comb and face. (Pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rhino533, Feb 7, 2012.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Can anyone tell me what this could be and how to fix it? A couple of my Japanese Bantam roosters have these whitish spots on their face and comb. Should I separate them? Could it be from mosquitoes? There are lots around right now. They just appreared within the last week. They eat and drink fine, no real change in there Character. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Looks like they have avian pox

3. rhino533

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Yeah it's looks like AP. What can I do to help get rid of Avian Pox? Or there really isn't a cure, will it will fix itself? Should i move the birds to another cage that show signs of it? Could it kill the bird? Is there any cream or solution I can put on it to help a bit? Thanks again for any future posts!

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Dry pox is a short-lived, nuisance disease spread via mosquitoes. It is ugly nodules showing up on the face and head, lasts about 3 weeks and then heals on it's own with no intervention. In your roo's case I think I would dab his sores with straight betadine/iodine once a day to help dry the pox up, prevent infection and shorten the duration. You can immunize your birds annually if you live in an area of high incidence. Once a bird gets pox they acquire a partial immunity from the disease, and although the bird can get pox again it is usually less severe than the initial infection.

There is also another form of pox called wet pox, which is a whole lot worse than the dry form. The search feature can yield you all sorts of info on this one should you want info on either form.

Good luck.

5. rhino533

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    I checked the 2 infected chickens just now and the only place they had these spots are on the head and comb. I looked into their mouth and all over their body and it was clear. I guessing it's Dry Pox. I put Betadine on them and will continue that for the next little while. Right now there are so many mosquitoes around. I feel really bad for them they must drive them crazy. Is there anything I can use to repel mosquitoes? I think I'm going to have to completely seal the chickens coop/pen with screen. Thanks for the responses so far!

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have two of those propane Mosquito Magnets, and I love them. I couldn't live without them in my area. They do an amazing job attracting mosquitoes and black flies, catching them and killing them. They are pretty pricey, but you can often find them on Craigslist for a song. In fact, that's where I got my second one after I was so impressed with the first one. Around my house is the only tolerable location in my entire neighborhood during bug season. It is so noticeable that several neighbors are buying/have bought the Mosquito Magnets after coming over to my house.

ETA- Oops! Just realized you are in Thailand. I don't think you have Craigslist or Mosquito Magnets. Sorry!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by