Whitney Houston record sales

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by newchickgal, Feb 15, 2012.

1. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    This is in no way to take away from the talent that she had. I just have to wonder, after reading about how record sales have soared for ones by Whitney Houston, why would so many people wait until after her death to go out and buy her records? It just seems to me that if you like someones singing so much that you already have bought the records. Just an odd thought that I have this morning.

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    For the same reason people rubber neck at car accidents, and also because they will be worth money someday. The more younger the death the more suspicions that sort of thing make the records worth more.

3. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    That's a good point, I hadn't thought about the investments. Which, when you think about it, isn't that profiting from someones's death? I guess though that is all part of the business of making money.

4. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

The only records worth something after an artist's death are those which could not be reproduced again -- such as something with an autograph.

I think it's more a case of not realizing how much a person liked an artist's music until after the artist dies, then going out and buying whatever could be found. That's how I discovered Dusty Springfield -- I read about her death, and some of her more well-known songs were listed, and that's when I realized I loved her voice but listened to the music only as it came on the radio. So I bought her anthology.

[​IMG]

5. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    TO quote The Band Perry,
    "Funny, when you're dead how people start listening"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by