whiz bang for smaller birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by watchdogps, Oct 6, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Can a whizbang plucker do quail? How about fuzzy chicks?

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Just need to go at it very gentle, the thin skin will rip very easy.

3. FarmerRob

FarmerRob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2007
    Georgia
    The tub style pluckers can do quail etc but they use slightly softer rubber fingers than the standard. They also use a greater number of those fingers. The tub set up for quail will also do the chickens and turkeys.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    There is a special plucker for quail. The fingers are close together, and I think they are softer. It's possible that the fingers are also smaller.

It should be possible to build a whizbang for quail. Take a look at the EZPlucker made to do quail and you can see how the fingers are arranged.

I'm a bit mystified as to why you'd want to pluck fuzzy chicks.

5. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:The feathers burn and stink if you roast them with their fuzz. They are already difficult enough to get the stuffing into.

I'm kidding! I don't feed any of my animals commercial foods, and I may have a source for quite a few day old chicks, but only one of my cats will eat them fuzzy. I'm sure the others would eat them naked though.

6. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Have you tried rubbing something on the chicks that your cats love. Like tuna juice or something smelly like that. That may get them to eat it that way. I have done this with my cats and it works most of the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by