Whizbang plucker

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
Anyone have any tips about building a Whizbang? We got the plans in the mail yesterday and are going to start getting together our supplies. If you have built one, was there any particular part that you had trouble with? Any points you would advise someone else about? Thanks!

The most helpful advise I can give is put your plucking fingers in warm, soapy water before you try and pull them. This tip is in the book, and makes it so much easier. Also, there is an construction option towards the back that describes leaving the bottom on the barrel and cutting in a feather exit shute on the side. I didn't see it until after I was finished, but if it works, I think it would be a improvement. It would prevent getting wet feet, and you could put something under the exit shute to catch the feathers, making it easier to clean-up. And the last one I can think of is to make the 2"x4" frame a little taller. If you look at the diagram for laying out the cuts, you'll notice you have about 6" of off fall from the legs. If I did it again, I would add that distance to get it up off the ground a little more. You will have to take that into consideration when putting on the motor mount 2x6. Just add the length you raised it to the dimension it says to mount that 2x6. Problem I am having is with only an inch or two of clearance for the driven pulley, the feathers tend to accumulate under there.

It was rather easy to build. I stained the cut lumber before I put it together though. I did try the 'chute' option but didn't like it. I then decided to take it apart and cut off the bottom. Worked better for me. I slaughtered, scalded and plucked my first 40 birds in less than 2 hours. It worked awesome.

Thanks for the tips Big!

Michelle, what didn't you like about the chute? Did it get clogged to easily or was there something else that you didn't care for?

Back
Top Bottom