1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whizbang Plucker

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Amarisus, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Hello Ladies and Gents. I am building a whizbang plucker for my wife and I. I am curious as to the motors other have used. I know the type of motor to use (3/4 or 1 hp 1725rpm single phase, farm duty motor). What I am asking is what brand do people recommend. I could always go with the cheapest around but im concerned about the life of the motor. I would rather spend the money for a G.E. over a grizzly if it ment I would not have to replace it for many years. I welcome all input.

2. Sorry can't help ya here, I'm a hand plucker.

I would think even the cheapest motor should lat at least 10 yrs. How long do ya think you'll need it to last?

3. Amarisus

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    As long as possible. These pluckers represent a sizable investment and I would like it to service my family for as long as possible.

4. hydroswiftrob

hydroswiftrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    My Coop
    Don't know if this helps, but I have had better luck with Grizzly motors on my table saw than I have with a GE brand motor. Went through 2 GE motors in 18 months on my table saw. The Grizzly has held 4 years and still going strong.

5. lokua

lokua Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I imagine any name brand "farm duty" motor will outlast the rest of the plucker for home use. (I think the plucker fingers and plastic tub have a useful life of 10-15 years before they get brittle from age) If your on a tight budget an old table saw motor would likely last a long time with intermittent use the average home plucker gets. Finally, keeping the motor clean and oiled will always extend its life exponentially.

6. Amarisus

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Thanks for the advice. The grizzly motor is substantially cheaper but it doesn't have the automatic thermal protection to shut down the motor in the event of over heating. I guess ill just get the midgrade motor.

7. drlcb

drlcb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2013
    Fredericksburg VA 22406
    Harbor freight has a 1 hp farm duty for 149.00
    It's the best deal I have found so far.
    My whizbang plucker is getting put together this weekend. I'll be cleaning about 50 meaties in the next three weeks.

Good luck.

8. Amarisus

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I found a grizzly for 129 online. I just wasn't sure if I should be that cheap. It sounds like it doesn't really matter.

9. Tabasco Jack

Tabasco Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Draketown, GA
    I poked around in the barn and found a motor of the right size, wired it up and it worked. Since you only run the plucker for a few seconds at a time, I don't think you'll have to worry about thermal overload.

Do fashion a bucket over it though to keep the water off of it.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. cmknight

cmknight Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    My Coop
    I am thinking about building one of these, but I wanna know how they would do on a quail. They seem to do great for a chicken or larger bird, but how about a smaller bird like quail. Any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by