1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

who actually thinks this would work?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    a farmer said they were painting the inside of there chicken shed white to trick the hens into thinking its spring and lay? i said it wont work, please tell me i am right

2. Organics

Organics New Egg

Nov 18, 2011
    The theory is that white surfaces reflect light better, so it will appear brighter than plain wood, or any darker surface. White surfaces will make the light provided by electric lights in the coop seem brighter but white paint alone (without electric lights) probably won't do much since there are fewer daylight hours outside, regardless of the color of the inside walls.

3. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    re-posted

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  4. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    Quote:Just trying to use the quote box..... agree with Organics comment

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    x3

White, especially in a glossy sheen, will make the most of the light you have. I would think the impact on egg-laying would be a modest gain. I wouldn't expect anything dramatic.

6. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    My hens are still laying up here in Minnesota, and the inside walls of my pole shed are glossy white or very light gray and I have a white 'sun' panel strip the length of the barn. Awesome light, but i can't say for sure if any of it is related to the egg production, since I don't have a lot of daylight anymore.
    I think the white is a good idea in general, even when it is dusty.

7. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Chickens are far more perceptive and not easily tricked. - The thought behind it is that White reflects the light and therefor their environment would be made as bright as possible. I guess this could in theory help to get them to continue laying. The natural light would be magnified by the white rather like when you paint a room a lighter colour in your house.

Oesdog [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by