Who all has broodys at day 18 ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by okiehen, Jun 20, 2008.

1. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    My hen is setting a dozen barred rocks she is at day 18 today. I just set up my bator so it will be ready just in case.
    She broke up on me last time lost the hole hatch.
    I sure hope she does okay and is a great mom.
    We are going to build a chick tractor for her and the chicks.
    And have it ready. [​IMG]

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Good Luck with the hatch! [​IMG] Praying that your broody will stick w/them this time around.
    I have a broody who hatched 5 peeps for the first time one week ago today. Whew! What a ride, I think I was as nervous as she was broody! [​IMG] I have a second broody w/6 eggs on day 15. [​IMG]

3. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    My Aseel broody is at 20 days... I can't wait, I listen for peeping everytime I am near her box and I'll be out with the flashlight tonight. She's got 7 eggs [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Revise that, she has 2 eggs and 5 chicks. I must have miscounted.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  4. fun monitor

fun monitor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    CUTE little baby under momma hen! My broody bantam is on day 18, which is now really 19. No signs of anything yet, but I'm leaving her alone and resisting the urge to mess with the eggs.

5. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I have an Araucana hen due on the 23rd also! Starting to get excited about it.

She started with 11 eggs, I candled at 7 days and 2 were infertile, so down to nine... then last week one of the eggs just disappeared -- no idea what happened to it.

I candled yesterday (day #18) and the remaining 8 eggs all look good. I'm sure there will be some embryo mortality (the parents of the eggs are tufted, and embryos that get 2 tufted genes tend to die late in incubation), so I'm not expecting a 100% hatch or anything, but I've got my fingers crossed!

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Yeah. I have a few hens right now. Its really exiciting to have chicks hatch. I have three barred rocks sitting on mixed breed chicks. The rooster is a very good boy and helps to take care of the other chicks. I love the family life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by