Who all keeps their chickens IN THE HOUSE?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mahonri, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So Tuesday after a LONG and tiring day at work, I go to the feed store to pick up some laying mash and other feed.

In front of my in line is a lady with a small bag of crumbles and a small bag of scratch.

I ask her what she was going to feed with those bags.

She says, "Our Australorp hen". I said, "Oh, you ony have one? Dosen't she get lonely?"

She says, "O, she just lives in the house with our dog."

I says, "Doesn't that create a problem with chicken poop? Do you use a diaper on her?"

She says, "No, she always goes to the kitchen and poops in one corner on the tile"... I says... is that the only place she poops?

She says, "Well, we have a card board box upstairs where she sleeps with the dog. He has half and she has half. In one corner she lays an egg everyday, in the other corner she sleeps.

She and the dog are best friends.

I said... "Wow, thanks for the story"

Anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I am pretty sure there are a couple of BYC members who keep chickens on the sly in the house. I could be wrong, but I think the BYCers have their chickens wear diapers. [​IMG]

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] IM so glad IM not that crazy ! [​IMG]

At least yet !! [​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    LOL, Nice [​IMG]

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    WOW! [​IMG] A potty trained chicken! Well, kind of! [​IMG] I think that's great! [​IMG]

6. AmazonDragon

AmazonDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2008
    Wisconsin
    That is a cool story!

7. ChickenCoopArt

ChickenCoopArt New Egg

Dec 25, 2008
    Alabama
    Welll uummm...My 3 yr old game hen spends as much time in the house as she does out....[​IMG]
    She poops by the door, and rarely at that. She loves my computor chair back, oh and she's crazy about ebay:p Occasionally talks too..okay, okay only once, but I suppose she just hasn't had any thing else to say....[​IMG]

8. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:She sounds delusional.... wonder if she's one of those people that eats pet food b/c they can't afford the real stuff? Come on, who could have just one chicken? I mean.... really? [​IMG]

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Grfeat story. I have a house chicken as well; but she's kept in a cage. As soon as she get comparable in size to the rest, out she goes.

10. toddy111

toddy111 Chillin' With My Peeps

I heard you can actually train your chicken/s to do this but it is very hard!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by