Who all owns Maine Coon Cats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hensdeliverthegoods, May 18, 2008.

1. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Or maybe I should say, who all is allowed to live with a Maine Coon cat? [​IMG]

I see them listed as members of the family for many posters, so I thought it'd be fun to take an informal poll. And to see if people who have them are as in love with the breed as I have become with my Norman. Here's a pic of him...

[​IMG]

So how about it - who else lives with one of these characters? [​IMG]

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Aww, he's so cute! I just adopted a stray Maine Coon who is turning out to be a lovely cat. He follows me around everywhere and curls up on the chair next to mine. I've even started letting him sleep on my bed which is a big deal considering I've never had a house cat before. Does yours have a Maine Coon personality?

Here's the pics and story of how he came to my place (if you click on the link and scroll down you'll see his pics):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48361&p=5

His fur has started to grow out, so he looks a bit better than he does here.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  3. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    chickenannie, I've loved following the story of the Coonie you rescued. [​IMG] He's a real cutie, and very lucky (or is it just smart? [​IMG]) to have you as an owner.

Norman totally has the Maine Coon cat personality! He acts more like a dog than a cat many times. He is funny, smart and a complete character. He loves us but is not a clingy cat...he hates being alone but doesn't have to be in a lap. He just likes being in a room with his people. He and our dog get along well, and sometimes play like a couple of pups.

However, there is the issue of TONS of long, soft Coonie fur all over every surface of the house....[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, there fur is not slick and easy to comb through, it's very bushy and multilayered. They really are a different kind of cat. My cat-loving friend said some people get the lion cut for their long-haired cats on a regular basis.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  5. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a barn cat that we think might be part Maine Coon. He hates everybody and hisses if you come within 4 feet of him.... [​IMG]

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    This is ours.....He was a stray we took in. He was in rough shape when we found him. The vet said he was so sick he probably would have only made it a few more days. His teeth were so abscessed that it was only a matter of time. They pulled all but 3 teeth and doctored him up. It took almost a year for all the tick, flea and mosquito bites to heal. But look at him now. He does not even resemble the cat we rescued.

[​IMG]

7. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    This is my Rastus..he is a big guy now he is 14 l[​IMG]bs.

8. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Do you think thats a maine coon cat?

9. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    According to my vet, but he could be wrong..Is he not Maine Coon?

10. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Well i never knew of one to have short hair. They usually have long hair....and are low to the ground and hair sticking out of their ears.....like the first pic. I am no expert on them.....so i am not saying your is not.....but its not what i would have though to be one. But either way, its nice to see pet pictures and he is adorable no matter what he is [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by